I loaded the kiln last Wednesday, but had to wait til Saturday to fire it. Some covered jars, a couple of very big vases, some medium vases and – most exciting of all – eight glaze tests. Three were new green glazes – I am still looking for a green that fits with my work. The other tests were small cups that were glazed and then oversparayed with Steven Hill’s two Strontium Magic Crystal glazes. Lots of potential – for success and perhaps some disappointment – you never know until the kiln is unloaded.
And this is the one pot left over – sorry – no room for you!
I also wanted to try a new way of cooling the kiln: firing to 1225 C, then cooling to 926 C, letting it cool slowly (or “soaking”) for an hour to 870 C, then cooling naturally overnight. The theory is that soaking at this critical stage will allow the glazes to melt more slowly and completely, with the expectation that they will look more mature when the kiln is finally opened.
I awoke Sunday morning, very excited. But the kiln was still too hot, so I had to wait. Finally, just before noon, I opened the kiln and began unloading. Here they are, all the pots, hot from the kiln.
The greens that I tested just didn’t work out. Too weak and wishy-washy. Oh well, I’ll keep tweaking the recipes and will try again next firing.
These five jaunty little cups were all tested with the Strontium Crystal Magic, and I am very encouraged by the results. You can’t see the glaze effects in detail in this shot. But believe me, they all have some very nice highlights. I’ll be using some of these new glaze effects over the next few firing. Stay tuned.
Here’s a big jar from – if I may humbly say so – a very successful firing.
And another oval vase. This one has already been claimed by Anita.
Here’s a covered jar basking in the sun.
And one more – another big oval jar.
There are more photos from this firing, and I will post them soon.